Separating recycling from trash is required by the City of Venice. Dumpsters and marked bins are located in the service buildings between Buildings B and C, between C and D, and behind Building G. All residents should separate and dispose of their trash as follows:
- Blue Bin #1 Newspapers, phone books, catalogs, brochures, all envelopes, paperback books, office paper, paper bags, craft paper, junk mail, and magazines. Shredded paper should be secured in a paper bag or a clear plastic bag and placed in the bin.
- Brown Bin #2 Aluminum cans, foil and foil trays, steel and tin cans, clear and colored glass bottles, plastic bottles, yogurt and butter tubs, and any plastic marked 1-5 or 7, juice boxes, milk and juice cartons, and empty aerosol cans. Please remove lids (lids are garbage) and rinse containers.
- Cardboard boxes (broken down) and paper board boxes (cracker, cereal, frozen dinner, beer, soda, and shoe boxes) should be flattened and placed in the racks next to the blue bins. Boxes should not be larger than 2 feet by 4 feet in size once flattened.
- Styrofoam packing pieces should be securely bagged and placed in the garbage bin.
- Yard waste should be placed in the marked round bins or in the yard waste dumpster near Building F.
- Kitchen and other garbage should be put in a securely tied bag and placed in the garbage bin.
- THE FOLLOWING ARE GARBAGE AND CANNOT BE RECYCLED:
PAPER ITEMS METAL ITEMS GLASS ITEMS PLASTIC ITEMS Paper towels Coat hangers Mirrors Deli/bakery trays Napkins/Kleenex Lawn furniture Window glass Microwave trays Pizza boxes Small appliances Light bulbs Toys Paper drink cups Picture frame glass Prescription Bottles Paper plates Dishes All Styrofoam Post-It notes Drinking glasses Flower Pots Fluorescent tubes* Plastic Bags* Foam Egg Cartons*
* Publix takes foam egg cartons and plastic bags.
* Lowe’s and Home Depot take fluorescent tubes and bulbs.
- Large item disposal (e.g., furniture, appliances, etc.) is the residents’ responsibility. Call 941-486-2422 for information about pickup scheduling, fees, and/or drop-off location(s).
DO NOT LEAVE LARGE ITEMS IN THE TRASH ROOMS
Drop off sites are available at the following locations:
Venice Chemical Collection Center
250 S Jackson Road, Venice
Wednesday – Saturday 8am-4pm
Central County Solid Waste Landfill
4000 Knights Trail Road, Nokomis
Monday – Saturday 8am-5pm
Electronic and Hazardous Waste can also be dropped off at the above locations. For more information visit:
www.venicegov.com, and choose Departments, then Public Works.
CLICK HERE for a printable/downloadable version.